Search This Blog

Pages

23 August 2015

IS IT WORTH IT? (2)




I thought had finally reached the edge of my sanity but this brought it to a whole new level. I stopped struggling, horror froze my being, I was to find out later that somehow while all these was happening, I had lost control of my bladder. 

The hand stretched out tearing Ifagbemi’s mouth from ear to ear. Tiny hairs that moved like snakes protruded from it or snakes that looked like hair, I don’t know. 

As I watched in horror trying to wrap my head around the horror that was unfolding around me, another hand rose out of his mouth. By then, it was obvious something was about to climb out of him. Something horrific, something deadly. Suddenly I found my voice

“I will choose” I screamed on top of my lungs

Deep rumbling shook building. It sounded like laughter that could only emanate from the deep belly of the devil himself

“Choose now” a voice of one and a thousand said

“wealth!!! I choose wealth!”

Suddenly, everything calmed and I was sitting opposite Ifabemi once again. I looked around but the room was the same, no statues moved, no gaping holes in the ceiling, nothing.

“you have 3 options” he said, breaking into my confusion

“th..three options?” I asked still trembling

“you have three options" he said again “The price of the soul of one of your loved ones"

he paused for effect

"The price of  two of your senses now and one every 10 years till your soul is left for me to take"
he paused again

"The price of your health. I will give you a medical condition. It will be one that can be managed but over the years it will wear down your body and when your body becomes too weak and is about to die, I will come for your soul”

I sat there for what seemed like an eternity not knowing what to do. No matter how I looked at it, the ultimate price was the soul. I thought of asking for some time to think about it but he interrupted my thoughts

“make your decision. Another awaits me”

I didn’t know what to do. Having grown up in the streets and lived alone. Option one was out of the question for me. Besides I could imagine bringing such harm to a loved one even if I had one.

Even though I was wretched, I rarely got sick and I loved my health, why? because I had been unfortunate to witness a friend who had withered away from tuberculosis. There seemed to be only one option for me

“you have made your decision” he said before I could speak

“sight, touch, taste, smell, hearing. which two of your senses will you give?”

“smell and taste” I said picking the easiest ones,I thought

Ifagbemi nodded once

“Take my hand” he said, his face expressionless

I took hold of his hand and immediately an intense rush of heat travelled up my hand and through my body.

“it is done.” He said “I will see you in exactly 10 years”




That was 30 years ago. I have since given up my sense of touch and hearing.

My quality of life is not what I thought it would be. I have it all. The private jets, the mansions, the cars but to what end? I cannot enjoy the comfort that comes with it.

I eat at the best restaurants. The most seasoned chefs battle to serve me but what they don’t know is I cannot taste what it is they have served.
Serve me cow shit and I would even know I was eating it. 

Paranoia has been my companion.

10 years ago, after Ifagbemi came for my sense of smell, my wife accused the "enemies". She fasted and prayed. She cursed and blamed. Because I was deaf, she would write me little notes of love and encouragement saying it would get better but I knew otherwise. Even though I couldn't hear her, I could always see the tears in her eyes whenever she looked at me.

It was then I went back to Ifagbemi. I wanted a way out of my predicament but he told me that the only way out was for him to give back all my senses but at the cost of my soul 10 days after. I left dejected and full of regret, nothing could be done.

As I exited the building, I found out the reason why Khiro had been downcast the day we had initially gone to see Ifagbemi. Floating two inches in the air by the entrance to the corridor, was a statue of Khiro's grandmother. We had called her Iya Khiro because Khiro had been very fond of her. 
Only then did I truly understand the horror of what the corridor held. 


Tonight ifagbemi will come for my last remaining sense before finally, he comes for my soul. That is why I am writing this. 

These are my memoirs, my memories, my regret.

To my wife and children. I’m sorry you will have to take care of me till my dying day, I’m sorry I have betrayed your trust by not confiding in you earlier, though it would have made no difference, I feared you would love me less if I had. One thing I will never be sorry for is having you in my life. 

To you reading this; If you happen to come across Ifagbemi, before you cross that threshold, ask yourself this. 

Is it worth it?









Inspired by a silly question I found on the internet.





"I am as my creator made me. If he is satisfied, so am I"










email: bbannesworld@gmail.com
twitter: @bbannesworld






Stories posted on this blog are fiction and a product of the writer's imagination. They do not refer to any person or persons. Similarities to real life characters are purely coincidental.

No comments:

Post a Comment