Search This Blog

Pages

23 October 2015

A GIFT FOR ONE, A GIFT FOR ALL

                     A GIFT FOR ONE, A GIFT FOR ALL. 
                         
In my sleep yesterday I saw,
Ten clochards crawling to my door,
With shrivelled hands, they begged for aliments,
And slobbered fast in mawkish contentment

“A gift for one, a gift for all” they begged,
While sobbing in sorrow for all their dead
Whose quest was the same as one  
To plead then feed anew at dawn

Through my window I peered at the wretched souls
And wished I had enough to fill their empty bowls.
Save from the porridge boiling in my silver pot
I knew I had nothing these lots would ever want

But as quick as they had come, they varnish
And convict my heart for being so churlish
“I worked my palms numb to get that meal” I say
Chiding the good voice that keeps my heart at bay

An awful deed I knew I had done
By hoarding a gift meant for everyone
“A gift for one, a gift for all” I now knew
Would have saved so much with that few






Written by Chinedum Odiaka













email: bbannesworld@gmail.com
twitter: @bbannesworld












 Stories posted on this blog are fiction and a product of the writer's imagination. They do not refer to any person or persons. Similarities to real life characters are purely coincidental.

No comments:

Post a Comment